Show your heart some love! Lifestyle and supplements for cardiovascular health.
Writer, editor, blogger, natural health enthusiast, new mom, and owner of Cedar Hill Creative
Posted Jun 19, 2018
What could be more important than heart health? Many of us don’t pay as much attention to our tickers as we should—until something goes wrong, that is.
How does the heart work?
The heart is a muscle, about the size of the fist. Its vital job is to send oxygen and nutrient-rich blood all through our bodies. After the blood is circulated throughout the body in blood vessels called arteries, it returns to our hearts and lungs in blood vessels called veins. The heart does all this by pumping its four chambers (called the atria and ventricles). It’s more complicated than that, but that’s all that most of us need to know.
Common heart conditions 
Heart or cardiovascular disease, is an umbrella term for many different heart conditions—certainly more than we have room to discuss here! We’ll be focusing on two common conditions that can develop during our lives, rather than cardiovascular conditions that we can be born with.
High blood pressure: When the blood flowing through our blood vessels does so at a level of pressure that’s too great, it damages the blood vessels, as well as the eyes, kidneys, and brain. It also increases the risk of heart attack and stroke. We all have high blood pressure sometimes, such as when we’re stressed or afraid, but to be diagnosed with high blood pressure (or hypertension), the pressure needs to be high on a regular basis, for an extended period.
Restricted blood flow: This is when plaque builds up on the insides of our blood vessels, narrowing and stiffening them, and making it more difficult for blood to pass freely. Not surprisingly, this can increase the risk of a blockage, leading to a heart attack or stroke. It is believed to be an inflammatory condition.
There are numerous treatments for heart disease, including major surgeries such as bypass and angioplasty (coronary artery stents) if serious enough. However, it’s best to catch these conditions early, or prevent them from occurring in the first place, by healing the body and addressing the root problem(s).
What you can do
It’s extremely important for those suffering from heart disease or heart-related conditions to be under the care of a doctor. If you suspect that you have heart problems, get checked right away. Many conditions have no symptoms, though, so it’s important to receive routine health care. Always, check with your qualified health care practitioner before taking a new supplement, to make sure it’s right for you.
When it comes to heart conditions, of course, there are some things we cannot control, such as age (risk increases as we get older), sex (men are at a higher risk), and family history. However, there are many lifestyle-related changes we can make to support our hearts.
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet (including plenty of vegetables, fibre, and healthy fats and low in unhealthy fats and sodium).
- Exercise on a regular basis.
- Adopt stress-reduction techniques.
- Avoid smoking and drug use, as well as excess alcohol.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Get regular medical care and control other conditions, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol.
What we recommend
Selective use of supplements may also help reduce the risk of, or improve, certain conditions. These Provita natural health products are intended to work with the body, lowering inflammation and helping the body heal and improve blood flow.
- Kardio Flow is a multivitamin and multimineral complex, containing specific amino acids and plant extracts but unlike other vitamins and minerals it has been specifically design to improve blood circulation and overall cardiovascular health. At its best Kardio Flow may help our bodies eliminate accumulated arterial plague. Launched in Europe nearly 10 years ago, this formula has been celebrated for its unique synergistic blend of ingredients meant to strengthen our cardiovascular system and tap into the body’s natural healing abilities. Containing heart-healthy medicinal ingredients such as coenzyme Q10 and hawthorn berry, Kardio Flow is formulated to reduce cardiovascular plaque, improve blood circulation, lower blood pressure, support the immune system, support collagen formation, improve peripheral circulation, increase vitality, and improve the quality of life. It’s a multitasking product, for sure!
- Tensopril is formulated for those suffering from high blood pressure. Along with Hawthorn berry, it features ingredients thought to help naturally relax the body as a whole (such as L-Theanine, Inositol, and GABA) and relax blood vessels.
- Lipid Pro is combination meant to help reduce elevated blood lipid (fats) that circulate in the blood, increasing the risk of heart disease and pancreatitis. There are healthy fats and unhealthy fats—it’s elevated LDL that we need to be concerned with, whereas HDL is considered beneficial. Ask for a blood test from your doctor to learn which is your Cholesterol level.
- Astaxanthin besides being one of the most powerful anti-oxidants available out there, it provides protection against oxidative cell damage and inflammation caused by free radicals. Damage caused by free radicals leads to cellular inflammation that affects the entire cell including its DNA. Remember that heart disease involves inflammation, which is why antioxidants can step in to help save the day.
Cardiovascular health is something that we can help promote every single day. What are you doing for your heart today?