The holiday season is synonymous with joy, family gatherings, and inevitably, indulgence in festive foods and drinks. While embracing the spirit of the season, it's also essential to stay mindful of our health, particularly when it comes to our digestion, liver health and colon. Let's explore ways to care for these vital functions while enjoying the holidays.
The holiday season brings with it a spirit of joy and celebration, often marked by delightful indulgences in festive foods and drinks. While these moments of pleasure are a cherished part of the season, it's important to be aware that overindulgence can put extra strain on our liver, the diligent organ that works tirelessly to detoxify our body and process the rich foods and beverages we consume. However, this doesn't mean we need to forgo the festive cheer!
By adopting some mindful practices, we can enjoy the holidays while supporting our liver's health.
1) Consider moderating your alcohol intake; savoring a drink slowly allows you to enjoy the moment without overwhelming your liver.
2) Balancing your diet with liver-friendly foods like leafy greens, nuts, and fruits can be a delicious way to support liver function.
3) Incorporating a supplement such as Provita’s Liver Hepato-Protect™.
An excellent liver support, this product helps detoxify, improving bile & liver function. Adults take 1 capsule 1 to 2 times per day. Use for a minimum of 3 weeks to see beneficial effects.
● Liver detoxification
● Maintain optimal liver and bile flow function
● Improves liver glycogen (energy) storage
● Decomposition of red blood cells (iron recycling)
● Plasma protein synthesis (blood oxygenation)
● Hormone production and balance
Did you know
Liver is a gland, and it’s also the largest one in our body. Our liver performs over 500 different functions including fighting off infections. It works hard and can take a lot of abuse, but it is like an elastic band – it can only stretch so far before it breaks.
Even the most disciplined person can have trouble resisting treats over the holidays. However, this deviation from our regular eating habits can sometimes impact our digestion. Rich, fatty foods, sugary desserts, and alcohol can lead to indigestion, bloating, and cramping as our digestive system tries to process these unusual quantities and types of food. There are effective ways to manage these issues while still enjoying the holiday spirit.
Here are three lifestyle tips to help alleviate digestive discomfort during the holidays:
1) Mindful Eating: Slow down and savour your meals. Eating quickly can lead to swallowing excess air, which contributes to bloating. By eating slowly, you not only enjoy your food more but you also give your digestive system a chance to keep up, reducing the likelihood of indigestion and cramping.
2) Stay Hydrated: Drinking plenty of water is crucial, especially if you're consuming alcohol and salty foods. Water helps to flush out toxins and aids in digestion. It can also help to alleviate bloating by maintaining a balance of sodium in the body.
3) Supplements: Provita’s Digestive Enzyme Complex aids in breaking down fats, proteins, and carbohydrates, making it easier for your body to digest rich holiday meals. They can help reduce symptoms like bloating, gas, and discomfort associated with overeating.
The production of digestive enzymes begins to decrease as early as our 20s. With each passing decade, this decrease becomes more pronounced. By the time many individuals reach their 60s, the depletion of enzymes has reached significant levels.(1) This decline includes key enzymes like hydrochloric acid, which plays a crucial role in the digestive process.(2)
● Improve digestion of proteins, fats, carbohydrates and lactose
● Improves nutrient absorption
● Maintaining digestion and health
● Improve bile flow
Stress can significantly impact our digestion, primarily by slowing it down or even stopping it altogether. This response is part of our body's natural fight-or-flight mechanism, which diverts energy away from functions like digestion to deal with perceived threats. Here's how stress affects digestion:
Fight-or-Flight Response: When stressed enough to trigger the fight-or-flight response, our digestion can slow down or even stop. This allows the body to divert all its internal energy to addressing the perceived threat. (3)
Did you know?
We are born with a certain number of digestive enzymes per life! When they are depleted we become malnutritioned, which leads to all sorts of side effects, including low immune response, low energy, showing signs of premature aging, etc.
Rich foods that we might not usually consume in such large quantities or combinations, such as cheeses, sugars and meats can significantly impact the health of our colon. This may lead to issues like constipation and discomfort due to their impact on bowel movements and digestive health.
Hydration: Drinking plenty of water is essential. Proper hydration helps to soften stool, making it easier to pass and reducing the risk of constipation.
Fiber-Rich Diet: Incorporate plenty of fiber-rich foods such as fruits, vegetables, and whole grains into your diet. Fiber helps to bulk up and soften the stool, promoting regular bowel movements.
Physical Activity: Regular exercise can significantly improve digestive health. Even light activities like walking can stimulate the muscles in the intestines, aiding in bowel movements.
Supplementation for Bowel Health:
Provita’s Colon Cleanser
Maintaining regularity and a clean colon are extremely important for the maintenance of good health. An old saying states that “death starts in the intestines”. A clean colon and a healthy gut flora are of utmost importance for our health.
Provita's Colon Cleanser is a uniquely balanced combination of ingredients to be used as part of a complete internal cleansing program.
● Psyllium seed husks and Konjac increase the volume and water content of the stool
● Senna leaf promotes peristaltic movement of the bowel
● Black walnut provides anti-parasitic action
● Slippery elm bark provides soothing action and the elimination of toxins
● Lactobacillus acidophilus and Apple pectin promote healthy gut bacteria.
So when those holiday treats get you bound-up, reach for gentle, natural relief with Colon Cleanser.
In conclusion, balance is essential, and resisting temptation often proves unproductive. It's more relaxing to indulge in moderation rather than completely avoid. Remember, Provita supports your journey towards balance. Wishing you joyful holidays!